CHEVY PROBLEM WITH CAR

1996 Chevrolet Corsica

Smells problem
1996 Chevy Corsica 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 149000 miles

i have a corsica and it started last week with a smell like rotten eggsi ignored it and continued to drive but today---which is a week later----the check enjine light came on and it rides rough sometimesthe smell of rotten eggs is so strong it makes me sick----whats the problem?
Evilgirl453

Hi there, this may be a fuel related problem check the set fault code indicated by the check light, you may have a cat or O2 sensor indication.

Mhpautos
Whomever posted the answer thank youi had no idea where to even startso what your saying I should do is have the car plugged into a code reader to see what the check enjine light is trying to tell me? Also I just bought this car I have no idea what parts have been or not been replaced the 02 sensor may have just not been replaced and does anyone suggest that I get the 02 sensor replaced to see if it corrects the problem? Please help

Evilgirl453
Could b a egr valve, that will make it smell like rotten eggs. Just check the code first. If you dont have a reader, call around your local auto parts stores, some read it for free, I know auto zone will

Jaybin82
Hi there,

do the code read, the O2 sensor may just be telling you of the problem you already know exists, remember that these are only machines and that they do as they are told. Mostly. Lol it may not be the sensor being at fault, but before we do anything we need the code to start the diagnosis, did you only just fill the tank, this can often be caused by contaminated fuel.

Mhpautos
A little reading on the subject.

The Car Uses More Fuel Than Normal; Strong Odor Coming From The Exhaust: You notice a tank of gas doesn't last as long as it used to. Also the exhaust smells like rotten eggs. You may have also noticed that the car doesn't have the same amount of power as it once did. This type of problem seems to get worse once it develops and can lead to other serious problems, such as not starting.

Possible causes: The engine's coolant level may be too low: Refill cooling system with proper type of coolant for your engine.

If you have a carburetor, the choke may not be set properly, or the choke may not be working correctly: Check automatic choke linkage and choke heater operation. Repair, replace or adjust as required.

The engine may have mechanical problems: Check vacuum lines and fittings for leaks. Check engine compression. Check for broken fittings and mounts.

The fuel pressure regulator may be operating at too high a pressure: Perform fuel pressure test and repair or replace faulty component(s).

The ignition timing may be set wrong: Check and adjust ignition timing.

There may be a fault in the computerized engine and emission control systems: Scan injection and emission control system for Diagnostic Trouble codes. Replace or repair as required.

The engine's thermostat may be stuck closed: Replace thermostat.

The fuel injectors may be stuck partially open: Clean or replace fuel injectors.

Mhpautos
Mark----how did you know that I just filled the tank? Their is also other disturbing things like my fuel isnt lasting as long as it usually does---- and my car shook a little at a red light too---but I put dry gas in thinking that it was bad gas whn it shookalso whn it shookit lasted for a few seconds and then the problem seemed to correct itself

Evilgirl453
I have spies everywhere. Lol. I have been in this industry coming on 35 years, I have picked up a few things in this time, often with your symptoms, bad fuel is the first place I look, check the things out I have mentioned and let me know how you get on, I will be away over Xmas for a while but I will still be checking on my posts, have a great Xmas,

Mark in sunny Australia.

Mhpautos
Ok guys I will definitly take it to have the code reader put onsee what they can tell me frm thier----i am no mechanic so I really have no idea what goes on with this car other then I turn the key and it goes----but it does seem to have alot of problems? My next queston is why am I having weekly repair bills?
For example the intake gasekkett went last week and I had to have the intake gaskett replaced which was 300.003 days after that I hit a pot hole and the connections on the battery loosenedthis luckly was only a 4 dollar repair and trip to auto zone to get new connections on the battery---i am just so tired of this stuffthis car passed a legal inspection----and correct my if I am wrng but isnt the emmisions system such as the 02 sessor an inspection item? I mean did I get ripped off?

Evilgirl453
You may only be getting tis latest batch of problems due to contaminate or poor quality fuel, I would not give up on this car just yet, lets see where we are when you have sorted out this problem first, the )2 sensor is only doing it Job, and its something else that may be triggering this problem, such as the fuel.

Mhpautos