CHEVY CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR

1991 Chevrolet Corsica

Computer problem
1991 Chevy Corsica 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 145000 miles

My Corsica with 3.1 engine began stalling at highway speed a few days ago. After stopping for a short time it would restart and run again, at times for a considerable distance. The problem has seemed to get increasingly worse.

I replaced my fuel filter suspecting that to be the problem, but the problem reoccured after driving only a short distance. Again, after waiting a while the engine immediately restarted.

Researching the problem seems to indicate the crankshaft position sensor to be the problem. (The car has been riding low and bottoming out due to a need to replace the struts. I believe this may have led to the sensor becoming damaged)

I would appreciate any opinions and advice regarding this problem. I would also appreciate any diagrams and information about where the part is located and how to replace it. I am a DIY mechanic and unable to take it to a garage. So I need to fix this myself.

Tcambler

Hi tcambler,

Thank you for the donation.

Replacing things without understanding if that is the cause can be costly without rectifying the problem.
I would suggest retrieiving for trouble codes first.

RETRIEVING CODES (NON-SCAN)
1.Turn ignition on. DO NOT start engine. SERVICE ENGINE SOON light should glow. Locate Assembly Line Data Link (ALDL) connector attached to control module wiring harness. Most ALDL connectors are located under dash on driver's side of vehicle.

For exact location of
ALDL, refer to appropriate COMPONENT LOCATIONS illustration in article
SYSTEM/COMPONENT TESTS
in this section.

Turn ignition on with engine not running. Insert jumper wire from terminal "B" (diagnostic test terminal) to terminal "A" (ground) of ALDL connector. See Fig. 1 .

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_ALDL93LuminaFig01_2.jpg

2.SERVICE ENGINE SOON light should begin to flash codes. Each code will be repeated 3 times. To exit diagnostic mode, turn ignition off and remove jumper wire from ALDL connector.

READING TROUBLE CODES

Example, FLASH, FLASH, pause, FLASH, longer pause, identifies Code 21. The first series of flashes are the first digit of trouble code. The second series of flashes are the second digit of trouble code. Trouble codes are displayed starting with the lowest numbered code. Each code is displayed 3 times. Codes will continue to repeat as long as ALDL test terminal is grounded.