CHEVY ROTORS REPLACVED NOW ABS LIGHT IS ON

2005 Chevrolet Colorado

Brakes problem
2005 Chevy Colorado 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 55000 miles

Hi - My husband brought his 05 Colorado 4wd to a local mechanic for a brake job yesterday. Guy quoted him approx $1,000 to change brakes and rotors; seemed expensive. I did a net search and found that on this truck it is indeed an expensive job. Husband OKs the work. In my search yesterday, I recalled reading about a subsequent ABS light problem some had after replacing rotors and off-handedly mentioned it to my husband.

Today, mechanic calls & says brakes are done. But now ABS light is on. He's ordered a new sensor (no quote on that yet). I am so annoyed as after reading posts on the net, it seems this is kind of a well-known problem.

But my question is this: did the mechanic cause this problem? Should he have known better? I am sure he is going to try & pass the cost of the sensor (and possibly the hub if I understand other posts correctly) onto us. And I want to know if I should say " no, you caused this".

Thanks for any advice or input you may have.

Cindy
Cinjam

Very known issue with the ABS sensors and replacing the rotors
it is almost impossible to replace the rotor with out damaging the sensor (yes it can be done but very hard to manage )
we usually but that up front with the customer
shop is not responsible for sensor is brake will replace for free parts on customer labor on us
good luck

BMRFIXIT
Thank you so much for the input Jack - I appreciate it.

Could you just clarify what you meant in this sentence: Should I negotiate that I will pay for sensor and labor is paid for by mechanic?

Just want to make sure I am not out of line with anything I ask for!

Cinjam
Exactly what I meant
you pay for the ABS sensor and they replace it for you no labor charge
good luck

BMRFIXIT
I have the exact problem on both my colorados after doing the pads and rotors. But where can you buy just the abs sensor, and how much of a pain is it to install? Do you have to pull to hub and rotor off again. Because all I can locate is the wheel hub with the sensor already on it 180-250 bucks. 500 bucks just to do a routine brake job every 50,000 (hopefully) is just crazy.

The1nonlybanker
It appears this is a common problem when changing front rotors on a Colorado. In my case, changing the ABS wheel sensors and even bearings did not solve the problem and I suspect others have had the same experience. Does anyone out there know what happens to these things and the solution when problem occurs?

JimBarn1977