CHEVY WON'T START

1989 Chevrolet Celebrity

1989 Chevy Celebrity 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 275000 miles

i was driving down the road one day when my car just stopped. Now it wont start and I don't know what it is I have changed the coil packs and the starter. Every time I goto start the car there is a whining noise coming from the side the alternator is on. I had a mechanic look at it and he said something came loose in the base pan. And I don't know how to fix this problem
Chevyriding409

Determine if its fuel or spark that's causing it-do below

Disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor /distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, ECM, Ignitor cam and crank sensors- Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it