CHEVY PLACEMENT OF FUEL FILTER

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier

2004 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 98.5K miles

I am an extremely novice of very limited mechanical ability, however I can follow instructions. My 2004 Chevy Cavalier(2.2 liter, auto transmission, ) ac, two wheel front wheel drive[98,500 mileage] is having serious mpg drop over the last 1500 miles and I know that the 100, 00 mile scheduled " tuneup" will be coming up very shortly. I suspect plugs are getting in bad shape, but I also suspect that the fuel filter may be the culprit as I am not, repeat not experiencing any rough engine, or trouble starting it, or loss of power to speak of so I am focusing on the fuel filter for now.I have no idea if their is one or two fuel filters on the 2.2 l engine and where they are located. Can you help me to find the fuel filter(s) so I can replace it or them to see if that is in fact the culprit. Thank you very much and I hope you choose to have a very, nice day if you want to.
Sincerely

Jerry P. Heggem
sobr2day@sbcglobal. Net
Jpnoname

Hey Jerry.

Yeah it needs some attention. The recommended changes are a little out of line with reality.

To answer your question. The fuel filter is located in the rear of the car. I think it is a 17 mm and a 22 mm wrenchs you need. Not positive. You need to remove the charcoal cannister to access it. One bolt holds it there.10 mm?

There is a disconnect on one side and a threaded portion on the other. The disconnect side can be removed by pressing n the two detents holdinng it there and pulling the filter out. Look at the new one to better understand that.

Are there any engine light codes on? If so, retrieve them and post and I will follow up with diagnosis for them.

Fuel filter should be located right above the rear axle.
Removal/Installation instructions of your fuel filter (only one) are below.

REMOVAL: Relieve the fuel system pressure by doing the following.

RELEIVING FUEL PRESSURE: Disconnect the negative battery cable in order to avoid possible fuel discharge if an accidental attempt is made to start the engine.
Loosen the fuel tank filler cap in order to relieve fuel tank pressure.
Connect a fuel pressure gauge (with bleed hose) to the fuel pressure test port connection. Wrap a towel around the fuel pressure connection when installing the fuel pressure gauge in order to avoid fuel spillage.
Install the bleed hose into an approved container and open the valve in order to bleed the fuel system pressure. The fuel pipe connections are now safe for servicing.
Drain any fuel remaining in the fuel pressure gauge into an approved container

REMOVAL (continued): Remove the fuel filter from the fuel line using a back-up wrench on the filter.
Grasp the filter and nylon connection line fitting. Twist the quick-connect fitting 1/4 turn in each direction to loosen any dirt within the fitting. Disconnect the quick-connect fitting from the fuel filter.
Remove the fuel filter from the bracket.

INSTALLATION: Before installing a new filter, always apply a few drops of clean engine oil to the male tube end of the filter and to the fuel sending unit assembly connection. This will help ensure proper connection and prevent possible fuel leaks. During normal operation, the O-rings located in the female connector will swell and may prevent proper connection if not lubricated.
Install the fuel filter in the mounting bracket.
Connect the quick-connect fitting to the fuel filter using the following procedure: Apply a few drops of clean engine oil to the male ends of the filter and the fuel sender assembly.
Push the connectors together to cause the retaining tabs/fingers to snap into place.
Once installed, pull on both ends of each connection to be sure they are secure.
Install or connect the following: New O-ring
Fuel filter. Torque the fitting to 20 ft. Lbs. (27 Nm).
Negative battery cable
Pressurize the fuel system and verify no leaks.

Bluelightnin6