CHEVY STARTS & THEN STALLS IMMEDIATELY.

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier

2003 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 98625 miles

Last week I started the car after a very cold night, experienced symptoms much like a misfire. Happened again once after that and I let it idle to warm up - ran perfectly. Parked it in the driveway. Monday I drove it and it was fine. Tuesday morning after a night of -1 temps I go to start the car to warm it up and it starts HARD then stalls. I had 3/4 of a tank of gas. Did this several times. Left it alone. Put Heet (gas antifreeze) in the tank and rocked the car to mix it in. Went to start it this afternoon (1pm) and the car is doing the same thing (it is 30 degrees but feels warmer with sun). I put the car in Nuetral and started it - started easier then sputtered to a stall in 5 seconds.
Yesterday I tried starting it with my foot to the floor and it got to 500rpm's and quit.

What could this be? I replaced the fuel pump around 70k. I haven't had a tune-up. But - I have changed my air filter, and can do spark plugs probably. Does this sound fuel filter/system related? I am very worried as I am at school 3 hours (220miles) from home & my regular mechanic and can't afford to have it towed (obviously) and I am scared I will get ripped off out here (Syracuse).

Any suggestions?
Kleason

Did you change your fuel pump yourself? Has the vehicle run any since you changed the fuel pump. Did you change the fuel filter. Sorry about all the questions but we need to narrow it down just a bit. It does sound fuel related however if you have never had a tuneup plugs and wires are due.
Did the vehicle run out of gas? If so, what happens with the fuel injected vehicles the high psi of the system will pickup a lot of debris from the bottom of the tank. All of this gets caught by the fuel filter. So you may just need to change your fuel filter. That is a simple and cheap first step. I would try that especially if it ran out of gas.

Thetoolman