CHEVY FAN MOTOR

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier

Engine Cooling problem
2003 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 140000 miles

i recently started overheating in stop and go traffic. I noticed that thought the engine was very hot and the AC was on but the fan was not turning. I checked the voltage at the fan plug while the engine was running (AC on) and I got just over 13 Volts so I assumed the fan motor was bad and I replaced it. Immediately after I installed the new fan everything seemed to be back to normal, (engine hot or AC on, fan running). After several days I am getting higher than normal engine temp again. Again I checked fan with ac on and it is no longer turning. When I replaced the fan I was very careful not to over torque the bolt holding the fan to the fan motor shaft. I am wondering if there is another problem with the system that is causing my fan motor to go out. Is the 13V to high? I spun the fan with my hand and it seems to turn freely.

Thanks for your help.
Mikehay0341

Inspect and test the fan relay.

OK i'll check it out. My relay has 4 pins that are numbered, do you know which two pins are the source and which to are the fan switch?
Also, if my relay was bad would I still be getting voltage at the fan connector?

Mikehay0341
Try swapping the relay with a like one-if it fixes the problem replace it, if it continues its either the red and light blue wire is shorted together or the computer control of the fan relay

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_fan_12.jpg