CHEVY IGNITION SWITCH

1993 Chevrolet Cavalier

1993 Chevy Cavalier 35000 miles

I am wanting to check my switch for a short. But I am not sure of the location of it
Bob43771

Maybe I can help you with the problem first. Why do you think you have a short, and which switch are you refering to?

Basstech
My battery is going dead overnight.I know I have a short someplace. I thought it may be the alt. But after the diodes went out and I replaced them I still have the problem. I asked my local chevy dealer and they said it was probable a short in the ignition switch

Bob43771
The ignition switch is where you put the key in. How about we start by looking at some common places. The glove box light staying on from a warpped door. The trunk light staying on from a bad switch. Do you have any aftermarket things in the car? I-pod, phone charger, GPS, radio. Etc that are staying plugging in all night? Take a look there and get back to me

Basstech
I asked where the switch is. And I feel very insulted. It would take a pure idiot not to know where to put the key. I have worked on cars for over 50 years and unable to get into the position to look for the switch. My grandson looked on the steering colum and is telling me it is not there. I have checked about everything. I have not checked things that takes a contortionest to to look at. And I am working outside and do not want to lay in the snow if I do not have to. The reason I feel it may be the switch is because my job used to be building switches of all kinds and I am very aware of how they are biult and why they short out. Just a guess, but I have probabley built and tested over 100,000 of them

Bob43771
The ignition switch is located on the left side of your steering column. Remove the three screws on the the housing and it will be visible. You might need vise grips to remove the tilt steering rod because it usually has lock tight on it.I am in the process of changing might right now so I hope this will help someone else.

Kendunn