CHEVY 91 SHIFT PROBLEMS

1991 Chevrolet Caprice

1991 Chevy Caprice V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 104000 miles

Have a 91 chevy caprice sw, that would rarely move in drive or reverse. I dropped the pan and changed

the filter and fluid. I found a few tiny tiny pins in the fluid that seemed to be the same size. Now

the car starts, reverses, drives in overdrive to 2nd gear, then while getting gas it cuts out at almost

exactly 25MPH, and then while still getting gas, has no power from the transmission. At about 33MPH I can switch back to OD from 2nd and it drives but does not seem to be in OD at all. In D I get nothing. I can drive in 2nd OK.

I would say the size of the pins are about 1/8 of an inch, silver in color and appeared to be undamaged or marred.
Radiumglow

Sorry for the delay in answering your question, I forwarded yours to a GM trans technician, he should be getting to you shortly. Thank you for using 2Carpros. Com

Jack42
From the description of the pins, it sounds like what you found are needle bearings. They could be from a thrust bearing or planetary gear. Regardless, you have a major mechanical failure in the transmission. The only way to correct this is to tear it down and repair or overhaul it.

Dennyp