SERVICE ENGINE SOON, 95

1995 Chevrolet Camaro

Hi, I recently bought a 1995 Camaro, 3.4L V6, Auto, 49000mi. The car runs nice, But if im driving at 50+mph, then slow down, the Service Engine Soon light comes on, If I stop somwhere, say for coffee & restart the car, the light dosent come back on, Also, If im just driving short distances, It dosent come on, Kind of intermittant. This started when I ran really low on Gas, The owners manual says that the Service Engine Soon light might come on if you get too low on fuel because it senses a missfire & should reset after a few starts, But it sounded like this only pertained to cars equiped with OBD II, Which this car does not have. Either way Light on or off, the car runs fine. Is this something I need to be concerned about or is this just a trait of this model?
Jim
Shoeboy

Are there any trouble-codes?

Lytn_j
I dont know about the trouble codes, My local auto zone said they could only check the codes if I had OBD II, Which I dont have, But I do have a Data Link Terminal, Is this OBD I? &Amp; is it worth me buying a OBD I tester, they are pretty cheap, I guess they blink the #s of the trouble code, I have a Haynes manusl that lists the codes, Just not sure if this is an OBD I terminal, Its just listed in the user manual as a data link terminal.
Thanks for the reply
Jim

Shoeboy
The 94 and 95 years are crossover years between OBD1 and OBD11. You may have a hybrid system.

How many pins in the data link connector? If there are 12 pins, that should be obd1.

If there are 16 pins, you may have what they call OBD1.5, it's a hybrid system, uses 16 pins but you have to use an OBD1 code reader.

I don't have much info on that hybrid system. I'd hate to see you buy an OBD1 code reader and then it not work on your system. Maybe the store would let you bring it back, if doesn't work? You can ask.

My first thought about your CEL was to check the 02 sensor and circuit. I can't tell you to replace it without doing some tests.

Lytn_j
Thanks for your help, Its the 16 pin OBD 1.5, Auto Zone wont read it, I might try a dealer or a friend who has a code reader, The service engine light hasent gone on the past day or so, But today, After driving 65+, then slowing to 40- mph it went back on, Also the car idles a bit rough, Im changing the fuel filter as the car has been run to almost empty a couple times, Also changing the PCV valve, hopefully I can get the error codes, it still runs good, never stalls, but it must be something ! Possibly O2 sensor like you said.
Thanks Again for your help & I will make a donation asap, this weeks a little tight though.

Shoeboy
I finally got The Error Code, Just one came up, EGR Valve ! Actually EGR selonoid #2.
Thanks Again
Jim

Shoeboy
I have the same OBD-1.5 system in my '95 Trans Am. How'd you pull the codes? The more specific the better because I'd rather do it myself even if I spend a little $$ on equipment rather than pay the dealer $50 bucks to do it.

Feel free to e-mail me a reply as well since I only found this forum through a google search a few minutes ago! (Mikegdiaz @ gmail. Com)

Mikegdeez