CHEVY FLOOD DAMAGE

1969 Chevrolet Camaro

1969 Chevy Camaro V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 500 miles

hi, I've just inherited a 69 camaro from my late uncle. The car was in texas and was involved in the recent flooding. I got it towed home and am looking at starting to restore it to its original condition. What are the basics/ checklist I should work off. I'am aware there was water in the 395ci. But how about brakes etc. And are there any " Pockets" where I could encouter problems down the track, eg under the dash etc. I would think that these were a simple car in that no cpu gear.

thanks Dom.

Thanks for your time.
Dodo_hummer

Nice ride. 396? BB Camaros are getting rare.I had a 68 SS. Drop the gas tank and have it cleaned out, I would also suggest a new sending unit while apart, the filter socks are usually in bad shape by now. Drain the engine, pull the plugs and shoot WD-40 in the cyl's and turn the engine over to lube the cyl's. Gonna need to clean the carb out too. Auto trans? It may not be ok, they really dont like water. Try dropping the pan and letting it drain out. You can use fans to dry out the interior. Check all fuses for rust where they plug in. An old car like that may be ok, like you said, no comps to get messed up. Just use alot of moving air to prevent mold, may even want to invest in a new carpet kit, you can get them from Classic Industries for around $200. Have fun!

Jack42