CHEVY MAJOR DIFFERENTIAL PROBLEMS

1997 Chevrolet Blazer

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1997 Chevy Blazer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

I have a huge problem with my differential. My truck jerked to a complete halt one day-luckily at low speed. I took off the differential cover to reveal many of the teeth on the ring gear had been sheared completely off. The fluid was ruined completely and probably all the bearings-I plan to replace everything. The Question is: it is a 4 door, originally a 4 by 4 (the transfer case does not work) and I want to know what size/type is my differential as the ID tag was not there on the differential. Is there a way to tell from the VIN number? There are many ID numbers in the glove box but that is almost worn away and unreadable. What can I do with only the most basic tools to measure and get a new differential as there are several different differential sizes when I call about parts. Also the pinion shaft bolt has welded to one of the internal gears and I cannot get the pinion shaft bolt out. I spent a full day hammering on it and it only budges a few millimeters. I have given up and will bring it to a differential shop-however they have all told me I need to obtain the replacement differential and I don't know which one it is. Help would be greatly appreciated.
Ryan South

Hi
Axle ID stamped on front of axle housing tube need to wire brush. Fist 3 digts are axle ratio next is axle assembly build last 3 are date manufactured.
Could be 7 5/8 or 8 5/8 ring gear
Hope this helps
Thanks for donate

Docfixit
Thank you for the help. All the part places are asking me if the ring gear is 7 5/8 or 8 5/8. How do I check which one it is? It is a 5 bolt axle, with an open differential, and the VIN number for the vehicle is: 1GNDT13W9V2196408 If that helps? It would really help if I can find out what size it is or how to measure it with basic tools?
Thank you very much,
Ryan

Ryan South
Hello Doc Fixit,
Thank you. So how do I determine if it is 7 5/8 or 8 5/8? Is that in the number on the axle housing tubing?

[/quote: 5c3ee5563a]

Ryan South
Yes on housing first 3 digits are axle ratio. You could measure ring gear to get size

Docfixit