CHEVY HOW TO CHANGE THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD GASKET

1997 Chevrolet Blazer

1997 Chevy Blazer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 215000 miles

After getting wrong CO values I was ask to change the exhaust manifold gasket. How has this to be done. What steps need I to perfom. Do I need special tools?
Harry01

It may not have any. The manifold may be warped or cracked. They make gaskets for it though. You'll have to check your whole exasut system for leaks.

First buy the right gaskets. You need to have the gasket between the engine and annother one between the manifold and exhaust pipe. When got the right spare parts put your car securely on jack stands. Dismount the front wheel and the protection apron. Then start to dismount the exhaust pipe from the manifold (three bolts, 15 mm). Then loose the bolts which connect the manifold with the engine (even on my 11 year old car they were easy to become loose). When the bolts are removed pull the manifold away (appr. 10 cm). Take away the old gaket with the help of a screw driver. After cleaning the engine and manifold surface put the new gaskets (two for each manifold) on the manifold and tighten the screws loosly. Then drive in the screws into the engine screw thread loosly. Now change the gasket between the manifold and the exhaust pipe. After that is done thighten every screw on the manifold as well as on the exhaust pipe. I led the CO check after the gasket change and it was better as ever before. In additon I changed the ignition plugs as well and I have the impression that the engine is running better.

Harry01