CEL ON W/ PO171 CODE (LEAN CONDITION BANK 1)

1999 Ford Explorer • 141,316 miles

THE CEL HAS BEEN ON FOR 2YRS AND MY TRUCK RUNS GREAT IT HAS HAD THE SAME CODES PO171 PO174 (LEAN CONDITION BANKS 1 & 2 ). I NEED A SMOG THIS YR SO I NEED THE LIGHT OFF. I HAVE TO GO TO A STAR STATION PER THE STATE. I COULDN'T FIND ANY VAC LEAKS ETC, SO I DISCONNECTED THE BAT SO IT WOULD GO OUT FOR THE SMOG TEST. WELL I PASSED ALL THE TESTS EXCEPT THE FUNCTION TEST B-CUZ I ERASED ALL THE MONITORS NEEDED FOR THAT PART OF THE SMOG TEST. SO THE TECH TOLD ME IT WAS PROB THE MASS AIRFLOW SENSOR, SO I SPENT 130, 00 ON A NEW ONE WHILE THE LIGHT WAS STILL OFF I PUT IT ON AND STARTED A DRV CYCLE TO SET THE MONITORS SO I COULD GET A RETEST SMOG. SO DURNING THE DRV CYCLE THE CEL CAME ON SAME CODES SO I TOOK THE MAS BACK AND PUT THE OLD ONE BACK ON. I THEN PAID THE TECH 65.00 TO DO A DIAGNOSTIC CHECK TO FIND THE PROB HE FOUND A EVER SO SLIGHT LEAK IN THE INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET AREA. SO I PAID A MECHANIC TO CHANGE THE GASKETS AND I BARELY GOT THE TRUCK HOME STILL RUNNING GREAT JUST LIKE ALWAYS AND THE FRIGGEN LIGHT CAME ON AGAIN. I'AM AT MY WITS END. I HAVE BEEN DEALING W/ THIS SINCE AUG 2ND. I HAVE READ AND WATCHED COUNTLESS VIDEOS I HAVE SEARCHED COUNTLESS SITES FOR ANS. ALL TO NO AVAIL. HOWEVER, I HAVE LEARNED ALOT ABOUT MECHANICS AND MY TRUCK. BUT THATS NOT GETTING THE CEL OFF. DO U THINK MAYBE THE PCM IS OUT OF WACK SINCE THE LIGHT HAS BEEN ON SO LONG AND THE TRUCK HAS RAN GREAT THE WHOLE TIME. I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING WRONG CUZ THERE ISN'T ANYTHING WRONG EXCEPT THE COMPUTER IS WACK. SO CAN U P. LEASE HELP ME FIND THE PROBLEM? NOBODY ELSE HAS BEEN ABLE TO. I AM OUT OF IDEAS, OUT OF $, OUT OF TIME AND OUT OF MY MIND W/ THIS PROBLEM AND I KNOW MORE ABOUT MECHANICS THEN ANY FEMALE SHOULD (LOL). OH I ALMOST FORGOT TO MENTION IT MAY NOT MATTER BUT, THEN IT COULD BE THE KEY TO THE ANS, ( WHAT THE HELL DO I KNOW ) FOR THE 2YRS THAT THE CEL WAS ON IT SHOWED 2 CODES 171 AND 174 I KNOW THEY R RELATED TO THE LEAN CONDITION BANKS 1 &2 BUT AFTER THE INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKETS GOT REPLACED AND THE LIGHT CAME BACK ON IT ONLY SHOWED THE PO171 CODE IN THE STORED CODES AND UNDER THE PENDING CODES IT SHOWED THE 174 CODE BUT THE TOTAL # OF CODES UNDER DIAG WAS 1 CODE (PO171) B-4 IT SHOWED 2 TOTAL AND BOTH WERE UNDER STORED AND NOTHING UNDER PENDING. SO NOW IM ALL SCREWED UP. I DON'T KNOW IF THAT MAKES A BAD SITUATION WORST OR WHAT. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME.
BUCKLEY

When he found the leak did he use a smoke machine and do a smoke test to find the vacuum leak?

I BELIEVE HE USED CARBURETOR CLEANER AND HE APPEARED TO BE VERY SKEPTICAL ABOUT FINDING A LEAK, LIKE HE WASN'T QUITE SURE THAT THERE WAS REALLY A LEAK BUT HE COULDN'T FIND ANY PLACE ELSE THAT LEAKED. HE EVEN MENTIONED THAT HE WAS WRONG ABOUT IT BEING THE MAS. THE THING IS THAT THE GASKETS WERE JACKED, TORN, GLUED ETC, IN THE AREA HE THOUGHT HE DETECTED THE LEAK, YET THE CEL CAME BACK ON. WITH A QUICKNESS TOO. UNLIKE B-4 IT WOULD TAKE 2 DRV CYCLES, THIS TIME NOT EVEN 1. DO U THINK THAT PART OF THE PROB WAS CORRECTED BY REPLACING THE GASKETS, THATS Y ONLY 1 CODE P0171 SHOWS AND NOT THE PO174?

BUCKLEY
From what you just told me it needs to be smoked to kook for vacuum leaks. Especially since you said the light comes on quicker now.