ABS TRAC BRAKE LIGHT IS ON

2003 Cadillac Seville

Brakes problem
2003 Cadillac Seville V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 34500 miles

Cadillac dealer says scan codes are 1214 and 1249.
They want to replace EBCM for $1,160.
I need to at least get this light shut off to pass emission test. How do I reset Codes?
Is this too expensive to replace EBCM?
Dave
Dsmith2118

Is it possibly C1214, and C1248? There is no C1249, and 1248 sets with 1214. Did they clear the codes, and did they return? I am not certain of the exact part price, but $1160 does'nt sound too far out of line.

Factoryjack
There is a company that will rebuild the ECBM for less than $100.00. Module Masters will also rebuild. Why is Caddy so expensive. Is this something a shade tree mechanic (remove the module only) or an independent shop could do?

Dsmith2118
You have to be concerned with what you are getting, with such a contrast in price. The dealer is giving you a new part, and labor with a warranty. You send yours out and have it rebuilt, then have someone install it, what would your warranty be? The rebuilder is going to blame it on the installer, and the installer will either blame the original diagnosis, or the rebuilt part.

Factoryjack
Last question, is this a dangerous situation? Should I go straight to the dealer?

Dsmith2118
It is not a dangerous situation, but could be in the right circumstance. Typically when an abs fault sets, it disables abs and traction control for the entire ignition cycle. This would only be a concern if you were in a situation where ABS would have prevented something more drastic, and that we could not predict. On the previous reply, I had to abort, and had more to say. The module itself is not difficult to replace however, it needs to be programmed and setup to the vehicle using a scan tool that an independent may not be able to provide.

Factoryjack
Hopefully last question.
I note in the cross-reference chart that the same ECBM is used on several GM models including Monte Carlo's. Is this likely an instance where Cadillac is selling me a gold plated one where the brass one is likely the exact same part?
Dave

Dsmith2118
It should all be relatively the same. The dealer pays the same cost for the part, and there should be a manufacturer suggested retail. If there is deviation, it shouldn't be much. Call and get a price check from a Chevy store.

Factoryjack