HEATING ISSUE - DRIVERS SIDE COLD - PASSEN

1998 Buick Regal

Heater problem
1998 Buick Regal 6 cyl Automatic

On my 98 buick regal the air conditioning blows cool air on the drivers side and hot on the passengers side when I turn on the dual control. Have done some research and almost everything leads to the blend door actuator. I did purchase a air door actuator but can't find it.

My question is first what is your opinion and second where can I find a diagram to replace the blend door if this is the problem.

I checked behind the glovebox and didn't see anything back there and I checked underneath the dash on both sides and I didn't see anything. I was told on buicks they were behind the glovebox but from the partial look (the glove box has a huge inside so it doesn't reveal much when its pulled down all the way) I didn't see it. I would probably have to pull the entire glove box to get a better look but I didn't want to do that yet incase this was not even the place where the actuator was located.
Storm180

Hi storm180,

Thank you for the donation.

Yes, problem indicates a fault with the actuator but it could be the linkages and not the motor itself.

Here are the procedures but the diagram in our database is not very informative.

Removal & Installation (Passenger's Side)
1. Disconnect negative battery cable.
2. Remove instrument panel lower compartment.
3. Unplug temperature valve actuator harness connector.
4. Remove mounting screws, then temperature valve
actuator.

To install, reverse removal procedure.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_ACHeater98RegalFig04a_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_ACHeater98RegalFig04ab_1.jpg

Is it possible that I can get a bigger diagram emailed to me at storm_180@msn. Com?

I can't see it clearly and it gets all pixelated if I try to zoom in on it.

Also a wierd thing happened yesterday was driving the car and the heat was working again on the drivers side. I used the controls and raised and lower the temp and it was working fine. Obviously something is still wrong. So it could still be the same issue but intermittent?

Storm180
Yes, issue should be same.

When electrical components are failing, they might work intermittently. Alternatively it could be a stiff linkage that might work itself loose and start working again.

I have sent a diagram in pdf format to you, hope it is helpful.

I was looking at the diagrams and it appears with your instructions also. That this is mounted sideways and I should be able to access behind the glove box once I pull it. Is this a correct assumption? I had the bottom piece off the car yesterday and I couldn't see it from my the angle. I did see the heater core under there and it looks like its side mounted on the diagram just up from that and in the area is my glove box.

Thanks for all your help.

Storm180
Yes, the component is side mounted and if you have the part in hand, look for something similar that has electrical connector plugged in.

The instructins are for passenger side. For driver side the work is slightly different.