WHEEL BEARING REPLACEMENT

1978 Buick Regal

Suspension problem
1978 Buick Regal V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 9000 miles

This is a follow up of the answer I received. I already removed the 5'16"bolt. That bolt holds a cylinder like part (see picture white arrow- goes from top to bottom). That cylinder is the one I need to remove. I have hit it but it only comes out a little bit and stops coming out. How do I remove it- hitting it, using a puller, how!!?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/262593_Photo0207_2.jpg

Jpellicier

When you removed bolt was there a smooth shaft about 3/3" long after threads. In 50 yrs of car repair the pinon pin just slides out. Is there damage to differential?

Docfixit
Yes that is the bolt I am talking about. There is no damage to the differential that we can see. Everything looks fine, but for some reason the after I removed the 5/16" bolt the pin doesn't slide off.

Jpellicier
Go to each axle at brakes and pull maybe axel is up against pinion and won, t let it drop. There are to flats on pinion they maybe hanging on axle.

Docfixit
Axles are not toching the pin. They are all the way back. This is a modified buick, with a 350 roller crate engine. We bought it like this.

Jpellicier
Does the differential need to be in a specific position?

Jpellicier
Can you roll pin around? Is it free from spider gears?

Docfixit
The pin does not roll around. It is supper tight

Jpellicier
Hold one axle rotate the other. Do spiders turn? If no look for weld slage on spiders.

Docfixit
It is a posi-traction differential. Both axles will rotate

Jpellicier
Not if you hold one how do you think the car turns outboard must turn faster or rear end would hop.

Docfixit