WON'T START AFTR FXNG WATER IN CYLINDER

1997 Buick Lesabre

1997 Buick LeSabre
156,665 miles
3.8 VIN L engine
(wife's car)

Awhile back she had the A/C serviced. A few days later, while driving along, she could not get the car to go over 30 MPH. (She does not know if the car was overheating.) She stopped for gas and when she went to restart, the car would not turn over. I suspected dead battery, but an overnight charge would not crank the engine. The engine would do nothing, not even a partial revolution. (I checked radiator while doing this, and needed to add at least 3 qts. Water)

I had the shop look at it and was told that the engine oil level was too high (it's at about 7 qts. - See posting on " Too Much Oil" ), and that something must have broken loose in the engine, and the car needed a new engine.

I brought the car home and pulled the plugs, and the engine cranked just fine, though shot anti-freeze out of the #6 cylinder. I was told by a gentleman who had the exact same problem that the problem was the upper intake manifold (design problem. Post if you want to know specifics)

I replaced the upper intake, gapped plugs and now the engine acts like it wants to start, but not really. If I open the throttle while cranking, it soulds like it wants to backfire.

I have checked all plugs, and they fire just fine. I have checked the cam gears and chain, and the cam timing is fine.

One note: When I started putting the engine back together, I was really tired and put the positive cable on the negative terminal, and when I went to put the negative cable on, sparks flew. I did this twice before I figured out my mistake.

Any ideas what is going on? Could my mixing up the battery cables have caused an additional problem?

Any help would be appreciated.
Robertdh

After hooking up the cables in reverse, try to read the PCM with a scantool. If you are successful, you may overcome your mistake, If the PCM fried, it won't comunnicate.

Merlin2021
I have tried to scan the PCM, but the scanner would not register, indicating a fried PCM. I picked up another PCM from a junkyard from a 97 Park Avenue (tested it at the junkyard, and the scanner read it just fine).

I installed this PCM in the LeSabre, and the scanner will not register this one either. To me, this indicates a short, blown fuse, or fried wiring somewhere.

Thoughts?

Robertdh
The problem with reading the PCM was a blown fuse. I replaced the fuse, and am now able to readthe PCM, though it shows " no codes". The car still will not start, with the above mentioned symptoms. I am down to only a few possibilities: 1. Bad crank or cam sensor(s). 2. Fuel pump pressure low. 3. Fuel pressure regulator bad.

?

Robertdh
My donation was for a question simular to this one.
I did not reverse my battery cables.
My pcm reads just fine.
I did replace gaskets and mine is acting simular
i still need help thanks bill b

Maxac
Check main maxi fuses in the power distribution center. Follow the heavy cables from The a UKlternator to the pdc. Install your original pcm.

Merlin2021