INSTRUMENT CLUSTER SWAP

2007 BMW Z4

2007 BMW Z4 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 24500 miles

I have a foreign material buildup inside the cluster that, for lack of a better description looks like sawdust. It settles at the bottom of the housinf and sticks to the inside of the lens and face of the guages. Dealer informs that it is not a waranteeable problem. I would like to replace the cluster with a used one.
1. Will replacing the cluster activate the immobilizer?
2. If the mileage of the replacement cluster is less than the actual will it illuminate any lights on the face of cluster.
3. Will thhe repalcement require any reprogramming?
4. Is the vehicle mileage stored in the computer or the guage?
I would like to know what potential problems to expect before I attempt this swap
Rogerstafford

The only real downside to this swap is that the manipulation dot will illuminate, which is put in place to notify the next buyer that the seller has " manipulated" the original mileage. With proper documentation, this is a small price to pay.

Dr. Hagerty
Thank you for the information you provided. I assume that swapping the cluster will not trigger the immobilizer making the vehicle disabled?
The other question I have is: can the original cluster be reinstalled (without the light being illuminated when the car requires warrantee service? Or when being sold?) I dont wish to try to explain my reason for exchanging the cluster to the dealer or a prospective buyer.
If there may be any other issues I may encounter please warn me. I replaced a cluster in an Audi a few years ago only to find that the original cluster had to be replaced only with a new one that had never been initialized. My lack of information cost me $1700.

Rogerstafford
The cluster swap has nothing to do with the EWS (immomibizer)
If a bit of fluff in the cluster is all you have as the issue with that cluster, perhaps removing the debris should be considered, rather than the hassle of replacement. Seek out a local speedometer repair facility if you feel it is beyond your comfort level.
If you swap the clusters and the dot illuminates, you are going to be unable to extinguish it. If you then swap them back, the dot will then be illuminated in the old cluster after driving it for say, 6+ miles.

Dr. Hagerty