INSTRUMENT PANEL

2003 BMW Z4

2003 BMW Z4 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 49,006 miles

My problem affected several things at one time so I am pretty sure all malfunctions are related to the same issue and it seem to happen in between uses as the car is not driven that often. After sitting for a while, I went to start the car and the battery was dead. It was the original battery so I went ahead and replaced it, but it seems there is a drain on the battery when car is not being used. When you start the car the airbag light stays on and every other start a dash light indicating a door/trunk is open stays on(this lt. Is not even shown in owners manual). The power top button lts. When you push it but neither window or the top respond. When you set the time on the dash, sometimes the radio receives the time but sometimes it does not and then the time does not change until the car is turned off and re-started, but does change to the correct time. I first thought it might be a bad ground but have not found one that seems to be defective and that does not explain the constant drain. Finally, when the key is turned off, there is a buzzer that stays on for a good 2-minutes and the car can not be locked until it stops. When it stops you can lock the car remotely. I figured their is probably a lighting control module but I have never heard of one going bad and from what I read it seems it primarily works the exterior lighting system which all seems to be working fine. On that note the interior turn signals in the instrument cluster are not functioning either but the turn signals on the exterior are funtioning properly. Any help would be appreciated as I am out of work at the moment and can not afford to have the car checked out.
Sweetc

I am sympathetic to your situation, however the car will require someone with/at the dealership level to correct the issues your report. The electronics on post 2000 BMW cars are quite sensitive to voltage excursions and it may be as simple as clearing out a few faults and reinitializing the keys. The dash lights not working concerns me though. That may be indicative of some other issue.

Dr. Hagerty