VALVE RATTLE ?

2009 BMW X3

2009 BMW X3 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 3800 miles

My 10 month old X3 is rattling when I pull away after slowing down at junctions. It is as if the engine is " relaxing" and then when I put my foot down to pull away, it seems to " rattle" as it tightens back up.
The engine does not make this noise if I have to stop at a junction, only when I have to slow down to " give way" for other road users. It sounds as if the valves are out of synch with the engine or as older vehicles used to sound when their " tappets" needed adjusting.
This car has already needed a new rear differential and brake discs all round, the gearbox/transfer box is also whining !
It's going in to BMW next week so I'm hoping for an independent view of what I can expect to be told, thanks in advance.
Alun 37

The new version valvetronic motors are noisy and BMW has known about it for a while. There is 3800 miles on it?

Dr. Hagerty
Don't know if this is where I should be replying, but yes the car has THREE THOUSAND EIGHT HUNDRED MILES on the clock. BMW have said they can find nothing wrong with it, but it sounds awful when it happens. The " whine" I mentioned sounds as if the gearbox is noisy. Thanks for any help/advice you may be able to provide.

Alun 37
I thank you for the clarity on the mileage. The car may make some sort of confounding noise, and those are almost always the ones BMW turns a deaf ear to, unless the whining from the customer is louder than whining from the car. So if this is an issue for you, go to the dealer and make a firm but polite demand for action, document the process, and be prepared for them to deny your request. Aren't you glad you bought a BMW?

Dr. Hagerty
Sorry I didn't mean to offend by typing the mileage in CAPITALS, I just wanted to clarify the figure. BMW tried to tell us that the discs got badly scored because we were under-using the car when we requested they were changed.
The differential needed replacing at 2000 miles and when we tried to reject the car as not fit for purpose, they told us that the warranty covered us for three years.
NOW, this valve knock/rattle has appeared and the gearbox/transfer box is whining, on Monday it's going in for them to see if they can find anything wrong with it. I'm not holding my breath but at this point in time I have to give them the chance to put it right. BMWs used to make cars to be proud of, I wish I'd bought a Skoda now ! ! !

Alun 37
Is anything new going on with your BMW?

Dr. Hagerty
The X3 has been returned to BMW with 4,084 miles on the clock, the gearbox had started to make strange noises so I demanded my money back. BMW agreed and gave a full purchase price refund. The car was being returned to Germany for BMW to check what had gone wrong we were told but, 2 weeks later it was on sale on the dealership web site.

Thanks for your help in this matter,
Alun

Alun 37
That will teach you to buy one of those cars!

Dr. Hagerty