REBUILT VS USED

1998 BMW 740

1998 BMW 740 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 184, 00 miles

I have a 98 BMW 740iL with a transmission that’s obviously on its last leg. The issue I have is that; I’m told by one mechanic that its best to go with a good used Transmission because reconditioned tyranny’s doesn’t last very long. However, I'm told by another mechanic that it's best to go with a rebuilt one and they last a long time. I’m at a loss. Used one's with installation cost upwards of $2300. Rebuilt; $1600 - $1900. Between the two, what would you suggest
Dan1275

The used transmission is probably going to have the quickest turn around. The cost of the rebuilt seems low, are they rebuilding or re-manufacturing?

Dr. Hagerty
Sorry for not replying sooner, I was told that the re-manufctured comes from the dealer and they can be pretty expensive but im also told that the rebuilt ones are just as good on one hand then im told that the rebuilts can fall apart in six months or less. Now maybe that all depends on the shop that does it. I dont mind paying for the used tranny but if the rebuild is good, then it's the obivious choice. Do you have any history on rebuilts vs used?

Dan1275
I don't know if Dr. Hagerty has an opinion? But from personal experience and decades of working on German vehicles I can tell you that I have not found one transmission shop that can repair a German transmission correctly, they are very complicated and parts are not available so most of the time to transmission shop just patches them up and they do not last, I just replace the transmission in my 1998 750 IL I got a used one from the junkyard for $1200 and it works like a dream.

Dr Loot