BMW 540I TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

2000 BMW 540i

Computer problem
2000 BMW 540i V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 106000 miles

2000 bmw 540 ia 106000miles, if a front wheel sensor is not functioning and the dsc pressure sensor is malfunctioning, can this make the transmission not fully engage, to make it feel like a clutch is slipping, Once the car is moving at speed the car gradually picks up speed the car will feel normal again. If stopped at a light and start to move it slips alot.
Danieldc

You might have more than one issue at play here. The wheel speed/pressure sensor issue is possibly disguising itself as a DSC module failure(it is a common failure) and the transmission issue may or may not be related. To get to the facts in the case, I recommend a " short test" which is the testing of the cars' systems with the proprietary BMW software and re-posting with the results. The transmission sounds like it is in " limp home mode" and you are taking off in 3rd gear, this may be due to software, lack of bus communication or perhaps an internal fault in the transmission which the short test can shed some light on as far as what is wrong and how to proceed.

Dr. Hagerty
We had the right front wheel sensor replaced and the dsc pressure sensor, and the abs and dsc light are still on. Does this mean the main computer must be bad? Can we get the main control rebuilt or does it need to be replaced?

The 5 speed automatic transmission still feels like it has a manual transmission with a clutch that slips. When I stop and can barely get moving, once i'm moving it seem to drive normal. Could this simply be a symptom of: 1 low transmission fluid, 2) a dirty filter, 3) or a transmission out put speed sensor? How can I fix this problem the most efficiently? How often do 2000 bmw automatic transmissions fail with 105,000 miles. Thank you for your help in helping me solve this problem. Danielmcgrawdc@mchsi. Com

Danieldc
I can appreciate your position. The DSC issue might require replacement of the DSC control module, and if so it will need to be coded to the car. You might be interested in calling Autobahn BMW salvage @ (619)444-2290 and talk to the boys there, they might have the DSC module and if so it would be plug and play and less $$$ than new. The tranny issue will require the short test I mentioned in my previous posting, please comply with my request.

Dr. Hagerty
Where is the transmission output speed sensor located? How long should it take a mechanic to replace this? The transmission feels like it has a bad clutch in a manual transmission, but it is a automatic, once it gets to highway speed it seems normal, could this transmission speed sensor be the problem?

Danieldc