TRANSMISSION MALFUNCTION MESSAGE

2004 BMW 525i

2004 BMW 525i 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 90000 miles

dear Sir

I have a question regarding the message shown on the display screen in my car, it is " transmission malfucntion " it appears sometime when I am driving in the traffic, while using automatic system, not typtronic, my car seems to be working on the 4th level, slow and could not take more speed while the message appears
i park the car, stop it and then turn it on, the message disappear and the car work normaly
please I need to know about the problem because many mechaniciens advice to change the sensors in the transmissions and other advice to check other items in it.
kidnly advice
thanks
Aztony2000

It's software, probably not replacement of parts.

Dr. Hagerty
Dear Sir,

a software problem should be permanent problem, I face this problem sometimes in traffic and only sometimes when I drive backward.
Can u advice for any solution? Mechaniciens suggest to change sensors and other suggest to change 2 gear box inside the transmission.
Your reply is highly appreciated
thanks
Tony

Aztony2000
Software is a realm that does not have to be considered a " yes or no, black or white" issue. The intermittent nature of the problem indicates the root problem as what could be software and if there is a component failure, it would probably show up as a permanent fault. BMW has been " fixing" problems with software, especially the MOST bus cars, as they are using a high level of integration in the bus structures. If I were the repairing technician, I would try non-invasive methods before replacement of parts. It is not OK to throw parts at these cars, if the repairing facility you have the vehicle at does not have sufficient training or the skill sets to properly diagnose and repair an E60 vehicle, you may be in for a long ride to nowhere.

Dr. Hagerty
I am experiencing a similar type of prob on my car. Did you ever have any luck with getting it fixed?

Chicodusty
Tell me what the problem is, maybe we can get to a solution.

Dr. Hagerty
I have a 2004 BMW 525i, and I recieved a hard transmission fault light about a three weeks ago. My mechanic said that I had a transmission fluid
leak, so he changed this coil and trans pan with 21 bolts on it. The car drove fine for a few days but then I got several more soft transmission faults where as soon as cut the car off and back on they went away. The mechanic then reprogrammed the car and cleared the faults. The car seems to be driving fine, but I have received another tranny light. What could be causing this?

Chicodusty