325CI ENGINE STALLS WHEN STOPPING AT

2003 BMW 325

2003 BMW 325 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 72000 miles

Im driving a 2003 BMW 325ci (2 door). About 72000 miles on it. Got it at about 70000 miles and it was a flood car. But engine and everything was fine, not at all damaged. It seemed to be working fine for the last month or 2. Many things had been replaced. In beginning the problem was the same when we first tried to start car, when mechanic had fixed many things inside of it. He revved it a bit and then it was able to go. Again, after that he made many twitches to the car.

So:

Recently, since 2 days ago this first occurred. I had started my car. Drove it about 2 minutes and came back home to grab something. I left the car on for about 3-4 minutes tops. Then I get back into the car, change gear to Reverse and I feel a slightly more of a jerk. Then I hit the brakes, and put it in drive, and as I do, the engine shuts off. So I put it in park and turn off the car (the battery was left on I believe). I try it again. But 2 seconds after the car is turned on, it shuts off again. My dad comes, puts turns it on and while in park, he revs it for about a couple seconds and moves the car. Took it to mechanic next day, the air filter was horrible so it was replaced. Then he came back from mechanic (about 30 minutes of pure driving but on highway so not too much stopping in the middle). It was fine then.

And a few hours later, I take the car out. I stopped for about 2 minutes, leaving the car on. Then again the same problem and now it seems as if whenever I stop for a second or 2 at most, at a stop light, or in traffic. The car stalls. Engine turns off, I have to change gear from drive into park. Turn off the car. Turn it back on, rev it a bit, and then quickly change gear into drive and quickly hit gas pedal to let the car go. Acceleration also feels a bit weird. Not sure if different but definitely something feels like it might not be right. Also feel slight jerking when driving.

I would like to know what would be the problem? DId anyone else have a problem like this?
SPrsh

Your description seems quite genuine, however, as it is with most driveability issues with these cars, the only way I could give a response that is at all meaningful, is to run a short test with the proprietary manufacturers based scan tool and analyze that outcome. There are simply too many variables in the equation for me to give an answer at this time. The " It could be" list might start with the history of the car and the fact that it was a flood recovery victim, and could be something as simple as a loose battery cable. Here to help, not sure if I did.

Dr. Hagerty
Thank You Dr. Hagerty,

Today I took it to an Auto Free Parts, and they put it through the scanner. This is what came up: P1083: manufacturer (or manufacturing) control, fuel and air, metering, auxiliary emission controls

P0174: bank 2 (not enough fuel or something)

P0171: bank 1 (also not enough fuel. Maybe going into the engine?)

Thanks, looking forward to your reply! : )

SPrsh
A generic scanner can sometimes narrow the search parameters down, but to pinpoint the problem and give meaningful feedback, I really need that BMW specific scan tool called a GT-1 It is the proprietary diagnostic tool BMW uses. It gives information that the generic hand held cant give.

Dr. Hagerty