CAR OVERHEATED ON FWY AND LOST ALL ENGINE OIL

1992 BMW 325

Engine Cooling problem
1992 BMW 325 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 167000 miles

water pump housing was damaged and car los all the water and overheated, as it overheated it dropped all the engine oil onto the freeway.
car was stopped a couple of minutes later.
checked the oil and all the oil was gone, a mechanic put some oil in the engine and water and was able to take it to the shop, had to stop a few times to cool off engine and add more water.
the water pump housing was replaced,
my question is why did it lose all the oil?
is the engine going to be okay? Or will it start burning more oil? What gets damaged if the oil is lost and engine overheats?
Jesse91311

I have no idea what the issue with the oil is from your story. The possibility that the engine is totally ruined is possible.
I do not have enough information to help you with your decision. The overheating of BMW engines like the one in your car is usually not good and is cause for concern, cracked cylinder head casting, loss of oil control past the piston rings, melted plastic etc. May be factors, tell me more about the post traumatic situation.

Dr. Hagerty