BLACK SMOKE, CHECK ENGINE POP UP

2001 Nissan Altima • 2.4L 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 124,000 miles

My car just started emitting black smoke after it showed the check engine signal on the dash board. Reason is because, I poured some engine oil and later on I discovered it started emitting black smoke and the engine light came on. Later on after two days, while driving it stopped on the way and didn't ignite anymore. What do you think might be the possible cause. Thanks as I await your response.
Llordjames

Where did you pour the engine oil? Have you had the computer scanned for trouble codes? Black smoke usually indicates the engine is getting too much gas. Several things can cause that.

Let me know.

Thanks a lot sir,
I haven't scanned yet, when my car stopped on the road, I tried restarting it but it kept making a cranking noise on the left side of the engine and it never started. Could that still be one of the reasons?
Thanks.

Llordjames
At this point, I can't be sure. Since there was black smoke, I feel the engine was getting too much fuel. That can be caused by a few things. For example, a stuck fuel injector, bad fuel pressure regulator, oxygen sensor issues. I need to know what the code is in the computer to determine where I feel the problem is coming from. Is there any way you could have it scanned and let me know what you find?

Also, where was the oil poured?