3800 OIL LEAK

1997 All Other Makes All Other Models

I have an oil leak on a 1997 Gran Prix 3800 engine coming from the front of the engine. It has 220,000 miles on it and no codes or other problems. To fix it I'm guessing a timing chain job at about $1000, but should I just consider a new engine even at about $5000 since the engine has high mileage?
Shoofly

New engine, or new car? Remember that all of the parts on that car have 220k miles. Sounds like you got a great life out of it, and unless you have personal ties to the car, it may be time for a new pony.
Those engines are famous for leaking intake manifolds, which can leak oil on the front of the engine. You can probably get that resealed for less than $1,000, but do you want to just reseal it and have a head gasket blow in a month? But then if you do the heads, you may burn a piston the next month.
Sounds to me like you are rolling the dice on putting money into a car with such milage. How bad is the leak? Can you through a card board sheet under the car each night and just add some cheap oil each week? Lol

Mikeybdman