CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

2005 Acura TL

2005 Acura TL 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 58000 miles

Hi,
I have a 2005 Acura TL with 58,000 miles. A check engine light came on at around 57,000 miles. I took it to the Acura dealer and they want to replace a sensor. The care drives fine other than the check engine light (which is going to cost about $500 to fix) is this something I can do myself? Do I have any other options?

Nadeem
Nedu

It all depends what the sensor is, did they tell you which one you need, and I just want to add, if your a woman or an elderly person, be careful, its sad but some places just take advantage.

Here is what it says on the bill for the diagnose charge: Part 57812 code P1172, B1S1 A/F sensor out of range.

I called the BBB Autoline to find out if this kind of repair is covered under the extended warranties (8/80) and they are not cooperative at all.

Nedu

Nedu
P1178 O2 Sensor Signal Circuit Slow Switching From Rich to Lean (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
the other one I am not familiar with, if you know someone handy and semi mechanically inclined, they can change that o2 sensor, easily

Legitimate007
Where can I fiend instructions to do it myself? I was searching online but could not fiend anything for 05 TL. Appreciate your help.

Nedu

Nedu
To change an oxygen sensor(o2sensor) you just unplug it, and unscrew it from out of the exhaust pipe /manifold, and replace it. Also if your up to it, the mechanics that do the repairs for the dealers, will do work like this on the side, for like fifty dollars, to change an oxygen sensor, all you have to do is ask them. Pull them to the side, and ask them. Becuase of the difficulty, there are really no instructions to do this because you just unplug and unscrew.

Legitimate007
2005 Acura TL P1172 Bank 1 sensor 1 is out of range. I bought the sensor online. I need to know exact location of this sensor on the car. How do I get to it? Is it under the hood or under the car? Are there any instructions available online? Are there any photos available? I would really appreciate any help.
Nedu

Nedu
Here you go, it should be fairly easy to do because its right in the front of the engine

Legitimate007
Thank you very much.

Nedu

Nedu
Your very, welcome. Come back anytime