2005 Acura RL Repair Question
2005 Acura RL air conditioning compressor
2005 Acura RL 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 75,000 miles
Is it possible for a defective compressor to operate intermitantly? The clutch coil has been replaced and the problem persists and the insurer is reluctant to replace the compressor saying that if it comes on, the problem lies elsewhere.
Never head of an intermitent compressor operation. To help what is symptom and will need High and Low side pressure readings to diagnose.
Let me know
Thanks for donate
18,443 answers provided
Hi Ned Welker,
Thank you for the donation.
The A/C compressor relies on the clutch coil to operate and if it is intermittently cutting off, it is not the compressor itself.
Clutch coil operations are governed by :
1. Clutch coil. Weak coil or excessive clutch clearance.
2. Thermal sensor, located on compressor. Any overheating of the compressor would cause a break in the circuit and stop the clutch from operating.
3. Compressor clutch relay. Relays can fail intermittently, try swapping the realy with the headlights and see if problem still occurs.
4. Excessive freon in system.
5. Faulty pressure switch.
6. Faulty PCM. It controls the clutch coil relay.
7. A/C switch.
8. Faulty cooling fans.
When intermittent compressor operations occurs :
1. Does the A/C switch light flickers?
2. Does the cooling fans cycle together with the compressor?
3. Is it cycling on and off or just staying off and would not come on until the A/C or engine is turned off and restarted?
4. Is there any indication of the engine overheating?
Have you had the low and high pressure readings checked? A pressure reading might help to understand the freon level and A/C operations.
39,932 answers provided