REAR VIEW MIRROR

2000 Acura RL

Interior problem
2000 Acura RL 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 88000 miles

How do remove the rear view mirror (On the center of the windshield). The original has gone bad and I have a new one but am afriad to force the mirror too hard. I don't want to break anything as the mirror cost $500 and is mounted on the glass.

Is there anything else I need to know about the replacement that is not obvious. It seems that this should be an easy fix. Slip the old one off and plug the new one in and slip it back on.

updated 3/1/10
I need to know how to remove the mirror from the window. The cleat is still on the window with the old mirror on it. I need to put on the new mirror but am afraid to pull too hard until I'm sure that is what to do.
DCReplogle

Hello and thanks for donating!

Below are the proper replacement steps for your vehicle's interior rearview mirror..

The rear view mirror is attached to a support which is bonded to the windshield glass. If the support becomes unattached, it must be aligned and rebonded before the mirror can be mounted.

Mark the outside of the windshield glass using a wax pencil or crayon, then make a large diameter circle around the support location mark.
Clean the inside glass surface within the large marked circle using a glass cleaning solution or polishing compound. Rub the area until it is completely clean and dry.
Once dry, clean the area using an alcohol saturated paper towel to remove any traces of scouring powder or cleaning solution.
If still attached, use a Torx bit to separate the mirror from the support, then use a piece of fine grit sandpaper to rough the bonding surface of the mirror support. If the original support is being used, all traces of adhesive must be removed prior to installation.
Wipe the sanded mirror support with a clean alcohol saturated paper towel, then allow to dry.
Follow the directions on a manufacturer's kit (Loctite Rearview Mirror adhesive or equivalent) and prepare the support for installation.
When ready, position the support to the marked location, making sure the rounded end is pointed upward. Press the support to the glass for 30-60 seconds using steady pressure. After about 5 minutes, any excess adhesive may be removed with an alcohol moistened paper towel or glass cleaning solution.
Allow additional time to cure, if necessary, per the adhesive manufacturer's instructions, then install the rear view mirror to the support.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_1_135.jpg

Bluelightnin6
Ok you'll need to remove the metal button from the mirror assembly. Check for a small allen-head setscrew on the mirror assembly, if there isn't one then it can be forced by removing a small piece of trim, disconnecting the electrics, and then inserting a screwdriver blade into the latch. Twist gently, and the mirror will pop off into your hand.