NEED HELP WITH FRONT BRAKE ISSUE ASAP!!

2000 Acura Integra

Brakes problem
2000 Acura Integra 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 122000 miles

I need help with my front brakes! I am a female that really doesn't know much about cars but last time I posted a question on here, people were very helpful and explained things so I could understand lol. I had a friend trying to replace my brake pads, and when he tried to get the piston to compress, it wouldn't budge, it's like it's jammed. It's not " frozen" from what he says, but there's got to be a reason why it's not compressing. Tried using a C clamp to do it and it won't budge. Any idea what's wrong? Please help! I am a single mom with VERY low income and am trying to do everything I can to avoid taking it to a garage. Thank you!
PaperTiger683

Hi there, using the C clamp and one on the old pads as a base on the piston, open or even remove the bleeder, this should allow the piston to move freely as if it is extended well into the housing it may be a little cocked and even a small amount of back pressure may stop it from moving, with the pads re installed bled that caliper a few pumps just to make sure that no air entered while the bleeder was out.

Mhpautos
Thanks for the quick response. That's exactly what he did and it didn't budge, he said maybe it's rusted down inside and that's the reason why it won't go any further? My old brake pads were SUPER thin (almost gone) so maybe that's why I never noticed the issue?

PaperTiger683
I would say that the piston is cocked in the caliper, take the clamp off and remove the rubber dust boot, try and rotate the piston, this may re locate it and hopeful it will re seat, otherwise the piston will have to be removed and cleaned up, you will need rubber grease or brake fluid to lubricate any parts, do not use spray or engine oil.

Mark

Mhpautos
Ok I'll give it a shot. If I can't get it to work should I just buy new calipers? Thanks again for your help!

PaperTiger683
The caliper kit is normally only a few seals and dust boots, get a mechanic to clean it up and re build it, as long as the piston is not to scored it will be fine as that is the sealing surface.

Mark

Mhpautos