ACURA CL TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

1999 Acura CL

1999 Acura CL 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 170000 miles

Why did my car stop working right after a light collision? What's wrong with my car?
After the collision, the car was still on DRIVE but when I step on the gas, it wouldn't move anymore AT ALL, so I had to push it to the side of the road. It also doesn't REVERSE. When I shift back to PARK, it makes a grinding noise. It was in an accident(moving 10-15mph), axle(passenger) broke apart and created a hole on the automatic transmission. Through the 1-2 inch hole(size of a quarter coin), I can see the gears. I don't think but I'm hoping its just the fluid that unables the gears to engage. How much trans. Fluid would have to drain for a car not to move. Or is it still suppose to move without it? What are other possible problems? Solutions?
Gfulgueras510

Hi there,

With a failed drive shaft, this is enough to stop any drive, but with the damage done to the transmission, this will require the removal and a new transmission to be fitted, any fracture of the case, is fairly terminal for this transmission, basically you will not economically be able to repair this transmission.

Mhpautos