JEEP COMPASS SPARK PROBLEM

2011 Jeep Compass • 4 cylinder AWD Automatic •

Why do the spark plugs on a 2011 jeep compass have to be replaced every 30,000 miles?
Jmiller731

I DO NOT KNOW YOUR PARTICULAR VEHICLE MUCH AT ALL, I DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE INTERVAL SHOULD BE. I AM A JEEP CJ KINDA GUY, MY INTERVAL IS 15,000 MILE TO CHANGE THE PLUGS (I ALWAYS DO IT IN THE SPRING OF THE YEAR AND AM USUALLY DOING IT BEFORE IT SHOULD BE DONE, ACCORDING TO SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE INTERVAL IN MY "SEVERAL" REPAIR MANUALS. STUFF WEARS, AND BECOMES "UN-TRUSTABLE"/ OUT OF CALIBRATION, OVER TIME (EFFICIENCY ISSUE). YES, THE SPARK PLUGS ARE ONE OF THEM THINGS! I HAVE READ THAT A PLUGS GAP CAN GROW AS MUCH AS.001" (ONE THOUSANDTH, OF AN INCH) IN 1000 MILES OF TRAVEL (THIS IS THE MAIN REASON WHEN I GAP MY PLUGS, I USE THE SMALLER TOLERANCE, SO THAT WHEN THEY DO WEAR, IT WILL STILL BE WITHIN SPECS)----I MYSELF, HAVE NOT SEEN THE GAP GROW AS MUCH THEY SAY. BUT IT DOES GROW! WHAT MAKES IT GROW IS, IT'S SORTA LIKE WELDING, EVERY TIME THE SPARK FIRES, IT EATS OR PITS, THE METAL, BOTH THE ELECTRODE AND THE TANK WHICH IT JUMPS TO. SO TO PUT THINGS IN A REAL WORLD NUMBER SEQUENCE, I WILL EXPLAIN IT WITH MY JEEP. AT 60 MPH, 3RD GEAR, 2200 RPM---I'M TRAVELING 1 MILE PER MINUTE. SINCE I HAVE A 4 STOKE ENGINE, MY PLUGS FIRE 1 TIME PER EVERY 2 CRANK REVOLUTIONS, SO IN 1 MILE MY PLUGS FIRE 1100 TIMES EACH. MULTIPLY THAT BY 15,000 MILES, AND WE GET 16 MILLION 500 THOUSAND SPARKS PER PLUG (16,500,000). BEING FAIR, WE ARE NOT DOIN' 60 MPH CONSTANTLY. BUT WE DID NOT TAKE IN ACCOUNT ALL OF THE IDLING WE DO AND GOING THRU THE GEARS, EACH TIME EITHER. IF I CAN DETECT WEAR IN LESS THAN 15,000 MILES ON MY PLUGS (NOT TO MENTION BUILD-UP ON THEM (WHICH COULD CAUSE THE SPARK TO TAKE THE PATH OF LEAST RESISTANCE). USING YOUR 30,000 MILES INTERVAL (IF THATS THE RECOMMENDATION). YOUR PLUGS WOULD HAVE FIRED 33 MILLION TIMES EACH, THAT'S TWICE WHAT MINE WOULD DO, THE "AUTO ENGINEERS" DECIDE WHEN THESE THINGS NEED CHANGIN', GENERALLY, AFTER VERY EXTENSIVE TESTING.
IS THIS SORTA THE ANSWER YOU WANTED TO HEAR. MOST MECHANICAL FAILURES CAN BE AVOIDED THRU THOROUGH PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE! IF YOU DO NOT OWN A REPAIR MANUAL, YOU NEED ONE. SO MUCH INFO IN THEM, NOT ONLY ABOUT THIS ISSUE BUT MANY MORE. AND THEY TELL/ SHOW YOU STEP x STEP HOW TO REPAIR.I AM NOT A PAID MECHANIC, I DO IT OUT OF NECESSITY, FOR ME AND MINE! I DO KNOW JEEP CJ 5s AND 7s VERY WELL AND I ANSWER THEIR QUESTIONS FREQUENTLY AND CONFIDENTLY, IN THEIR FORUMS.I WILL SHOW YOU ABOUT 50% OF MY REPAIR MANUAL COLLECTION BELOW, AND MY 2 DAILY DRIVERS. ONE IS 34 YEARS YOUNG ('77), THE OTHER IS 65 YEARS YOUNG ('46). PM WILL LET YOU PASS 'EM ON DOWN TO YOUR GREAT-GRAND YOUNGINS. AND YOU WILL ALSO BE ABLE TO ENJOY THEM, TILL YOU WIND UP ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE GRASS!