REMOVING DOOR PANEL ON

2011 GMC Sierra • 4WD Automatic • 3,000 miles

How do I remove the right door panel on a 2011 GMC Sierra? I have three screws removed, 1 behine latch handle and 2 behind door pull, but have no idea what else to do to get the panel off. Saw a response to "pop" off from bottom, but not sure how hard to pry or where, and don't want to break the panel. It doesn't seem to want to give at all.
Dpmcdoug

Behind the door are plastic retaining clips that hold the panel on to the door. If you have removed all of the screws, they need to be popped loose to remove the panel. There is a tool that is made to do this to prevent the clips and panel from being damaged. You could check with a local parts store to see if they have one they rent or lend to customers.

I'm not sure why this needs removed, but if it is due to a problem, please remember the vehicle is under 100% warranty and all repairs will be done for free by the dealer.

Unfortunately, I broke my RH towing mirror and need to replace it. Beyond removing the three screws, where in the world are these retaining clips and how the heck do you access them? I've looked over the entire door panel and see no sort of access point at all and it's pretty tight on the door frame. I've sort of tried to pry from the bottom of the panel, but obviously do not want to screw up the clips or whatever is holding this thing fast to the frame. Why is it everything needs a "special tool"? Any other ideas?

Dpmcdoug
Nothing is ever easy. The clips run along the outer section of the door panel. If you can upload a picture of the panel, I may be able to give you a better idea. As far as the special tools, all I can say is I'm tired of buying them. You have no idea how much money a mechanic ties up in tools. The tool that I am refering to is like a prybar. It is made to slip between the panel and the door and place pressure directly on the clip rather than the panel which can break. I don't want to sound like I'm passing the buck, but you have an auto body shop near you, they would most likely have the tool and could physically show you how it comes apart. I do things like that all the time for people. However, I don't know where you are or if someone there would be willing to do it for you.

Not sure if this pic will help. Not much open on Sunday in Utah and I'm in a small town. I may be able to get my dealer to pop it off for me tomorrow, but who knows. This seems like an awful lot of trouble to get access to three lousy bolts holding the mirror on! But I appreciate any advice you have.

Dpmcdoug
Nicely done. Check along the bottom of the door for any screws and honestly, the rest is clipped into place.

No screws anywhere else on the entire panel. I've scoured it thoroughly. No other screws or screw covers visble anywhere. Guess I'm gonna have to check out autozone or something to see if they have this removal tool or try and get the dealer to remove it for me. So much for a quick, easy fix. Who knew door panels were such a beast! I really appreciate your help! Thanks, and have a great day!

Dpmcdoug
If there are no more screws, then the clips are holding it. I couldn't agree more with you. I just worked on my own truck. The check engine light came on, scanned it to find it was the vehicle speed sensor, replaced it, and the same thing. Now I have to start chasing wiring. NOTHING is easy. Thirty years ago when I started, there were very few things that would go wrong. Now, there are hundreds.

I think when you see how they remove the panel, you're going to say, "Darn, that wasn't too bad." Let me know how things go for you or if you have other questions.

Take care of yourself,