DIPSTICK SHOWS LOW OIL,AFTER OIL AND FILTER CHANGE,WITH 4.4 QTS ADDED

2009 Subaru Forester • 60,756 miles

Just did oil and filter change, added 4.4 qts of 5w30, and ran car. Shut off, waited 3 minutes, checked dipstick, reads low. Tried again 20 min later, same thing

Redweld

It might take 5 quarts of oil with a filter. And make sure it is on level ground.

4.4 is the correct capacity for a drain and fill with filter. Make sure you are using the correct dipstick and it's not damaged. You can always add a little more to bring it to the full mark but you shouldn't have to. Check it after sitting over night to be sure.

Wrenchtech
WHEN WE HAD CAR TO DEALER PREVIOUS TIMES FOR OIL CHANGE, THE TECH WROTE"4.4 QUARTS" ON THE INTAKE COVER, SO I WAS GOING BY THAT. WILL KEEP ADDING TILL I HIT THE HIGH MARK. SHOULD THAT BE GOOD IF THE CARS COLD? WHAT ABOUT THERMAL EXPANSION?

Redweld
CORRECT, ORIGINAL DIPSTICK, NO DAMAGE. WHY WOULD LETTING IT SIT OVERNITE HELP WHEN ITS BEEN6 HRS ALREADY?

Redweld
This is from Alldata which publishes info from factory service manuals.

Engine Oil Capacity

Dry fill 5.0L (5.3 qt)
Drain and Fill with Filter 4.2L (4.4 qt)
Drain and Fill without Filter 4.0L (4.2 qt)

Wrenchtech
OK THEN WHY DOES STICK READ LOW?

Redweld
All I can tell are the specs that they publish. Some residual oil can take a long time to drain, the ground may not be level or it may just be an engineering error on their part.

Wrenchtech
Ok makes sense now what?Add oil, orleave alone?I know toomuch is not good, and too little just as bad.

Redweld
Check it in the morning, if you need it add it if not leave it alone

Great. Thanx for info. This is a nice way to get info from someone who is qualified. Enjoy

Redweld
Page 1 of 2