ENGINE FAILS TO START AFTER ACCIDENT EVEN THOUGH CAR HAS BEEN REPAIRED.

2009 Hyundai Accent • 18,000 miles

Recently I was involved in an accident where the the oil pan was broken and the engine turned off. I didn't try to re-start the engine after and instead pushed the car off the road and had it towed. The damaged parts have been replaced but the engine refuses to start. A friend told me that some cars have sensors that prevent the engine from starting after an accident to prevent an explosion. Could this have happened? I can't seem to find anything like it.

Thank you in advance for your help and input.
Sj08h9

How long did the engine run after the damage?

On collision, the engine shut down immediately. After it was repaired we tried running it a maximum of 4 times. For less than 5 seconds on each attempt.

Sj08h9
Okay. There are engine shut down sensors that are designed to stop fuel and spark to the engine in the event of an accident. Chances are it needs reset.

Thank you Jacob. Do I need to take my car to a licensed Hyundai mechanic to do the reset or is it something I can do myself?

Sj08h9
If you are able to locate it, you could do it. However, they placed them in different locations, so I don't even know where to tell you to look. Contact a dealer and have your VIN available. Maybe they can look it up with the vin and tell you where yours is located.

Thank you for your time sir. We had speculated to the existence of these sensors before but failed to find them. They are tricky little things. We will try one last time before contacting the dealer.

Sj08h9
Glad to help.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

When engine could not be started, you need to find out what is missing. The above link explains how to go about.