RACK AND PINION

2008 Toyota Tundra • V8 4WD Automatic • 66,000 miles

I am removing my rack and pinion from my 2008 tundra crewmax. I have done it before but it was not easy. I want to know though the best/fastest way to get it out.
Huntman51

Remove wheels, engine cover plate, seperate intermediate shaft from rack, both LH-RH tie rod ends. Remove P/S lines high and return then TWO gear bolts and remove

Docfixit
Ok thank you! Now I do not exactly what the part is called but the part that is attached to the rack that then connects to the steering wheel shaft. Do you have to remove that from the rack to pull it out the side by the right wheel? If so is there any type of special alignment that needs to be set up when inserting that piece back into the rack? Thank you!

Huntman51
Inside cab bottom of column find cover held by three bolts and a nut remove. Pull boot up see shaft and pinch bolt. Scribe matchmark for alignment remove bolt then it will seperate when rack is droped may need a little persuasion. Rack drops down not out wheel well. Will need alignment when done install

Docfixit
What am I doing wrong because I could not get it to drop down last time. We had to take it through the wheel well. What do I need to remove for that to work?

Huntman51
This is second rack in 66K miles? That isn't right I don't know would need to be there and see is it because tie rod ends hang up?

Docfixit
The seal went out in it before and I had a guy repair it but he put the wrong seals in it. The tie rods hang up and it won't pull out the front. It sits on the cross member so you cant go straight down with it. That is why we went out the wheel well but had to first take out the steering insert so it would fit through there.

Huntman51
Try this rotate steering shaft to full right turn that should allow left tie rod to clear and then pull out

Docfixit