TOYOTA CAMRY BRAKES PROBLEM

2008 Toyota Camry • 42,000 miles

I had the brakes repaired on my car bya toyota dealership. When I put the car in reverse and apply the brake, they squeak loudly. The repair people tell me this is normal. What do you think?

It is indeed common and is partly due to the use of higher-quality linings. If the noise is worse in humid conditions, and goes away when the brakes warm up, there's not a whole lot you can do. There are some things inexperienced mechanics might overlook. One is to bevel the leading edges of the linings. A few passes with a flat file is sufficient to remove the "fingernails-on-the-blackboard" screeching. The backing plates of the pads should be coated with a high-temperature brake grease. That allows the pads to vibrate without passing that into the calipers where they act like megaphones. The pistons and calipers should have a flat file run over them a few times to insure there's no debris or rust that would prevent the pads from sitting squarely against them.