A/C WON'T WORK ON HOT WEATHER

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer • 128,000 miles

While the car is in movement A/C works fine in all weatheer conditions. But when stopped in traffic AC stops working and will turn back on when car is running for a period of 15+mins in expressway. Or if stop in a parking and AC is on, when you start moving it stops working. If left park in the sun for long period, it would start but if you suddenly need to make a stop because of a stop sign or light, it stops, you would have to keep moving so it will keep working. Check the pressures, all ok, no gas needed. Have watered the condenser to cool off, no effect. Fans are working properly. When AC is working, it will literly freeze your brain. On rainy days, works fine. On cloudy days, it will work fine most of the time. Might it be a sensor? Driving me nuts. / Donation will be made if answer is helpful. / Got ripped of before by other website, saw this one surfing today, so I am just being cautious. / Thanks in advance.
Eduardo C

Is the compressor remaining engaged when this happens? What are the high and low pressures at that moment?

Wrenchtech
No, when the AC is not operating, the compressor is not engaged. When it starts to work, it engages, I can hear (windows are open)when it does and inmediate feel the cold air coming out. Pressure low 35 to 40 / high 150 to 200. Thanks for fast response.

Eduardo C
It sounds like you have an electrical issue. You're just going to have to do some electrical testing during the period that it's not working. Start out checking for power right at the compressor to determine if it's a weak clutch or excessive air gap on the compressor.

Wrenchtech
The care did at one moment get hot and the unit powered off because of the fans failed and had to replace them. Correct me, the compressor let's gas out to proctect the engine, right? I did take it to place more gas, might it have been the tech guy didn't make a correct procedure in extracting all the air and gas before placing new gas on it? The light in the nobe blinks before I press it again and accelerate the car, then it kicks in and starts working.

Eduardo C
The compressor vents freon when the high side exceeds 400 lbs.
If the light is blinking, there is a fault in the system and needs to be checked. A shop with a scan tool can look at the fault code for the ac and use that info in tracking down the failure.