IGNITION WONT TURN ON

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt

When I put the key in the ignition and try to turn it, it doesnt budge at all. When I first tried it the steering wheel wasnt locked, so I tried moving the steering wheel around and turning the key but still it wouldnt move. I turned wheel to the left and about 3/4 of the way it locked and still the ignition doesnt budge.
Melvindoo92

The car is in park

Melvindoo92
Is this caused by a bad ignition?

Melvindoo92
It could be the tumbler needing lubericated. They make special lubericant for lock tumblers. Try that first. You can get it at most parts stores.

Just to add to this one it could be a worn out key does your key look worn?

Can you use wd-40?

Melvindoo92
No it doesnt. Ive also tried two different keys

Melvindoo92
Yes. Just don't over do it. Also, make sure the key isn't worn to a point it no longer works as mentioned by melvindoo92. If you have a spare one, try it.

Alright I lubericated it and it still wont budge. Any suggestions on what I should try next?

Melvindoo92
You should use dry graphite to lube the cylinder. Try lightly taping on the key hole with a hammer then try turning it.

What is dry graphite?

Melvindoo92