PROBLEMS STARTING

2007 Ford Focus

I'm having trouble starting my 2007 ford focus SE if it sits for more than about 8 hours. I initially replaced the battery, thinking it had a dead cell, this was not the problem. If I just go into the grocery store and come back out, it starts fine. I have to jump my car off to start it otherwise. The battery is never dead, and I never have to wait when jumping the car, it starts right away. And I have no problem with the car loosing power or acting funny while I'm driving. I had the alternator tested at an auto parts store, they said it was fine. My father in law also tested it, he also thinks it is fine. There is a clicking sound when I try to start the car. He thinks its the solenoid in the starter. I'm inclined to believe him, but I'm a little hesitant because this has been going on for months and I just feel like if it were the starter it would have been out by now? I have another friend who thinks its the battery connection, due to the intermittent starting. Opinions?
Nikioc84

Is the problem that the starter won't turn the engine over, or it does but has a delayed start?

No delayed start. The engine will not turn over at all (it just clicks) until I attach a jump box to the battery. Once I do that, I can start it.

Nikioc84
And once I've started it by jumping the battery once in a day, I can often start it again without a problem.

Nikioc84
If that is what is happening, chances are the starter should be replaced. However, before I would do it, I would check to make sure power it getting to the starter. I would also make sure the battery wasn't partially drained while sitting. Here is a funny trick (don't laugh). Sometimes when a starter starts doing this, it is the result of bad or worn brushes, armature, or field windings. Tapping on the starter gently with a hammer will usually get it working if that is the problem. I know it sounds crazy, but try tapping on it when this happens. If you do, let me know what you find.

I will, thank you.

Nikioc84
Let me know what you find.