DODGE CALIBER ENGINE PROBLEM

2007 Dodge Caliber • 81,000 miles

I have an engine malfunction icon light on. There appears to be nothing wrong with vehicle as to I have had many mechanics look at it. I had an inspection or I guess the emissions ran so I could get an inspection sticker. The read out passed 1st 2, then all else said "Not Ready". Very frustratd as to this was in perfect condition when I had the transmission flushed. After that I had to tow it home & have spent monies fixing it. It now runs great but can not get lite off. I hope you can shed some light on this. I tremble everytime I see a cop! Hate it. Thank You, Cindy

Why did you have to tow the car? How long has the Check Engine light been on? The Engine Computer detected a problem, set a diagnostic fault code in memory, and turned the light on to tell you that. The place to start is by having the code(s) read. Those will indicate the circuit or system with the problem. There are hundreds of potential causes and very few of them actually result in a running problem that you would notice. When there is a problem though, some of the self-tests will not be run by the computer so of course it will not pass an emissions test. Those self-tests take the place of what they used to have to do manually.

Have the fault code(s) read. Your mechanic will know from that how to proceed.

I had it towed because Mechanic said my fuel pump had gone out-strickly coincidental! My son took pump off & tested it & is was working. He replaced it but did say he had to "hard-wire it"? I did find thru all this crap that there is a "Tech Op Alert" or something like that! It states that the ecm or the computer thing needed tobe flashed but not a recall. It has & stil is a nightmare! I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Anything will help. I already know I can't trust a shop unless it comes from word of mouth. I also work as a customer relations rep for 6 auto shops & the diagnostics most always said the o2 sensor needed replacing but that was very rarely the solution. I feel like I am just screwed. Again A Big Thanks, Cindy

Cindyb5159