NO POWER WHEN TRYING TO ACCELERATE

2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser • 10,000 miles

Car will not accelerate properly. When pressing the gas at a normal rate RPM's go up but not speed. We have to push the gas at a VERY slow rate, being patient for it to gain speed slowly. Car also dies at stop signs with any kind of air running. My husband had to unplug the device for the heater because it would emit some kind of fumes through the vents even when heater was not on. We used a tester and got the codes, we just don't know what they are.
Codes:
PO300-misfire random multiple cylinder detected
PO301-cylinder 1 misfire
PO420-catalyst systems below threshold
PO700-transmission control system malfunction
PO731-gear 1 incorrect ratio

I would greatly appreciate ANY assistance in this matter thank you.
Michael11457

I would address the missfires first. Check compression and then tune it up with plugs, wires.

The 420 cat code is a result of driving with a miss. It may or may not damaged the converter. If the code returns, you will have to replace it.

We will see about the trans codes after the motor is running well again.

Ok changed plugs, checked compression
results: cylinder 1: 140psi
cylinder 2: 95psi
cylinder 3: 95psi
cylinder 4: 145psi

Michael11457
How does it run?

Still runs the same real bad, accelerates very slowly, no power at all. Had to take the back roads and was getting hot also yesterday.

Michael11457
It sounds like the cat may be clogged not allowing the motor to breathe.

Do you think that it might be the head gasket because of the two cylinders that don't have compression? Is there a way to test the cat? Maybe taking it off and running it for a few minutes?

Michael11457
I took the cat off and the first thing you see is a screen like piece that looks almost completely plugged up inside it does that confirm that its the cat or that its plugged, thanks

Michael11457
Im going to take to the car wash and see if I can clean it up any more

Michael11457
Your right it was the catalytic converter thanks, car runs a lot better now, I was reading I should have put a pressure tester in below o2 sensor hole and then in the above sensor hole to see it there was restriction. Instead I took it off and rinsed it out and then took it to the car wash which tore up some of the material inside which cant be to good for emissions, when I saw it tearing it up I stopped cleaning. It anyways rinsed it out with clean water and then installed it and it was running perfect, I may of bought myself a little time, atleast its drivable now, would not go before at all. So glad I found the problem, thanks you very much for your help

Michael11457
You will need to replace it. What you did is not a fix, it is a band aid.

Good luck