I HAVE A CHIRPING LIKE NOISE IN THE ENGINE, FRONT LEFT IF I AM AT THE OPENED HOOD. ANY IDEAS?

2006 Nissan Xterra • 127,000 miles

I have a 2006 xterra with127000 miles 4.0 - v6 engine. I just started to hear a chirping sound from the engine ( like a bearing going out). It starts as soon as I turn the car on and gets louder as the engine tachs up. The sound gets quieter as the engine shifts gears. This goes on for about 5 mins until the engine warms up then goes away. Any ideas on what this is? Thanks,
Nelson
Nelsonclatterbuck

Worn, loose, or slipping serpentine belt. Also, a worn pulley bearing can allow that pulley to be tipped. That misalignment causes the belt to slide sideways across that pulley as it goes around it. That will cause a horrendous squeal.

Try dribbling a little water on the smooth back side of the belt while it's making the noise. If the noise changes, it's belt-related.