CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AND******** WHEN CHANGING GEARS

2006 Kia Rio • FWD Automatic • 170,000 miles

I have a kia rio 2006, and my check engine light went on and my car started******** when I changed gears, only when I switch into drirve or reverse. Then after a day the light went off and problem stopped, no********. That was a week ago and now it happened again. It happened this morning when I was reversing my car, my check engine light came on and it has been******** all day. When I try and accelearting it feels like I am having to press the gas pedal harder to get it to go. And all my fluid levels (transmission, oil, radiator fluid) are fine. Whats wrong?
Jennie_12546

The first thing you need to do is have the computer scanned for codes at a auto parts store like auto zone and let me know the exact code you have.

Well my brother just bought himself and OBD reader, so hes going to hook it up on monday to get the codes. But yesterday when he was looking at the car, when we lifted the hood we heard a hissing sound, like air escaping somewhere. It was a faint hissing. This car is frustrating me I bought it a 2 months ago and it was inspected and had no problems.
Thanks for your help I will let you know what the code is on monday after my brother connects the OBD reader thing.

Jennie_12546
Alright keep me posted.

Wait my bro checked it. The code we got was a p0717. I googled it, something about a sensor malfunction. Is that an expensive fix for a kia?

Jennie_12546
When the code is active it goes into fail safe mode and the transmission stays in 3rd or second gear that would explain the lack of power. There are many different things that can be wrong and depending on what it is will depend on how much it will cost to fix it. Your best bet is to take it somewhere you will need a advanced scanner that can read live transmission data a multimeter etc to diagnose this problem.

So I am guessing it is not a good idea to drive it eh?

Jennie_12546
I would say no the reason the the car stays in the certain gears is to try to protect the transmission from further damage so you can get it repaired.

Well I brought my car to my mechanic. The problem has mysteriously gone away again. He said he is going to just replace the whole sensor, the sensor is 256$.
I thank you for your help!

Jennie_12546
Your welcome I hope his guess is correct let me know how it works out for you.