SLUGGING RIDE, LOSS OF PICK-UP.

2006 Hyundai Elantra • 58,000 miles

Hi, I have a problem with my Elantra. There’s a loss of Pick up in my car…it rides sluggish as if carrying a Heavy load, this issue is more prominent especially when going uphill.
This problem is not persistent but keeps coming & going. Suddenly the car rides smooth & then again the problem re-surfaces. I changed the brake pads, got a new clutch & master cylinder, got the injectors cleaned, got the engine flushed & changed to synthetic oil. Still the problem persists. Though I have been having some issues with my brakes since quite some time…lately the brake pedal just depresses completely without the car braking or slowing. Could this be an issue with the brakes which is causing this loss in Pick-up/Power. Just for ur reference I read somewhere that there’s a possibility that when I press the brakes there’s some residual pressure which is not released completely even on releasing the brakes which causes to car to ride sluggishly. What do you guys think?
Anurag_m97

Check that there is no vacuum leak at the brake booster, the sinking brake pedal would indicate a fluid leak or a by passing master cylinder also ensure that there is adequate brake pedal free play, I would also run a scan just to see if there are any unresolved fault codes, not all codes will set a check light.

Mhpautos
Thanks mhpautos, your response is much appreciated. As suggested I'll get the leakage issue checked & also run a scan for any fault codes in a couple of days. Will keep you posted if the above suggestions work. Thanks again.

Anurag_m97
I would also get the cat converter checked.

Hi guys, I took my vehicle to the Hyundai service center. They claim there was no vacuum leak however they mentioned that my brake master cylinder was faulty. As per them the sluggish ride & the depressing brakes was due to the faulty brake master cylinder & asked me to have it changed. I had it changed accordingly, now the brakes of my car are working properly however the ride quality is still the same 'sluggish'. After having spent about $350 dollars my problem still remains.
ASEMaster6371, thanks for the reply.I had got my Catalytic Converter cleant some time back. Though all that my mechanic did was just remove the exhaust pipe & pass a jet of water through it. The water coming out was all black with the accumulated carbon I guess. I'm not sure if this is the right way to clean the Catalytic Converter. Can you confirm if the above way of cleaning is sufficient?

Anurag_m97
I did some R&D on the internet found that the above problem could also be experienced courtesy a faulty fuel pump. Took it to my mechanic to have the fuel pump checked. After having checked the vehicle he attributed the problem to a turbocharger failure. He'd be attempting to repair the turbocharger tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed & praying that it works & I dont have to go for a turbo replacement which costs a bomb.

Anurag_m97
Cat converters cannot be cleaned. The proper way of checking them is to use a back pressure gauge in the o2 sensor hole to measure the amount of back pressure.

Did not know that it was turbocharged. That could definitely be the issue. Very pricy to replace.

The cat converter has been ruled out. Though thanks for the reply Roy. I'll keep the thread updated with how the story unfolds & whether it was actually the "turbo" that was the culprit.

Anurag_m97
Well, my mechanic said that there was some oil in the Turbo which was causing the ride to be sluggish. He repaired the same. I took delivery of the car. It rode okay for a few days & again the same problem. I took it back to the mechanic, this time he said there was some value which was faulty & he'd be replacing it this weekend.

Anurag_m97
A 'valve' which was faulty I meant.

Anurag_m97