ODOMETER

2006 Honda Ridgeline • 6 cylinder 4WD Automatic • 69,500 miles

The dispaly on my 2006 Honda Ridgeline has been slowly going out. Sometime it works, sometimes it doesn't. I took it to the dealer and was told it would be just under $800 to repair. I found a used cluster and paid $210 for it. Got it swapped out and it works but it's displaying the wrong mileage. How can it be set to what the mileage is on my old cluster? Will it have to be removed again or can it be done through the OBD port? Why wouldn't this information be stored on the main computer and not in the cluster? It managed to save the correct oil percentage or this replacement happened to have the exact percentage on it as my original?
SoloScuba

This has to be done at the dealer through the aldl.

I'm sorry can you explain aldl? Is this accessed by the OBD connector under the dash? Do you know if there's a way to reset the ECU so the actual mileage is displayed? The dealer didn't want to do this since they did not get the $700+ dollars to install a new instrument cluster. I'm not trying to change the odometer to a lower reading than what was on my original instrument cluster, I just don't want to pay the unreasonable amount Honda wants to fix something I think they should have taken care of for free.

SoloScuba
Aldl is the diagnostic link or obd port. This has to be done at a dealer, sorry, only their machine can reset it or you might try someone with a tech 2000 form GM it may have a connector to do that. There are other dealers around you know that may do it cheaper. That really sounds unreasonable to me price wise, but you could go with the mileage shown. Why should they do it for free? The car is probably out of warranty so they won't.

The $700+ was to replace the malfunctioning instrument cluster with a new one and set it to the proper mileage. I don't want to make it sound like it was just to set the proper mileage. You are correct the car is out of warranty, but I would think an odometer that is not working properly would be covered pretty much anytime. It's not like the old mechanical ones where you just replace the cable. This is a very complicated electronic instrument that from reading on the web, Honda has had a few problems with. Not to mention it's not just a read out but somehow stores the mileage that I guess is not stored in the ECU. Wouldn't mind going with the mileage shown except it's 40,000 over the actual mileage. And if it was 40,000 under the actual mileage I'd want it set correctly also. I fully understand the implications of adjusting the mileage on the odometer, I just wanted it to work correctly because I am reimbursed mileage when I drive for business and I want it working correctly should I choose to sell the truck anytime soon. I am going to contact a local mechanic that does work on Hondas and see if they have to capability to set the odometer correctly. Like I mentioned previously, the Honda dealer said they wouldn't do it if I replaced the instrument cluster. Thank you for your help.

SoloScuba
Complain to honda than the dealer.I'm sure they have an 800 number for that. All the american car companies do. The amerciancar companies have had this type of speedo for years.