HEADLIGHT

2006 Ford Freestyle • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic •

How do I replace headlamps on 2006 Freestyle? Can't get the old ones out. They won't twist, and I don't see a clip or retaining ring?
Chaplain Slats

Rotate bulb 1/8 turn in counterclockwise movement

Docfixit
I agree that is usually the case--but not here.
No soap, Doc. As I mentioned, they WON'T rotate. There must be more to the story.

Chaplain Slats
Info from FORD and that is all they say so?

Docfixit
Sorry Doc. Even the Owners manual says: "Locate the outboardmost
electrical connector and remove it
by releasing the locking tab and
pulling it off."

The problem is, the headlamp has only one connector--and I have not located any "Locking Tab" which is apparently the thing that is keeping the bulb-base from being turned 1/8 CCW. I was hoping to contact someone who has done the deed--and knows the 'secret-recipe' that is cleverly hidden in the above instructions.

Chaplain Slats
Hate to bring bad news but locking tab is for connector not bulb

Docfixit
For anyone who really needs to know "How to Replace a Headlight on a 2006 Freestyle"--Read on: 1) You can disconnect the electrical connectors by hand; the locking tab is easily overcome with a bit of wiggle-n-pull--no tools required.
2) The lamp socket has tabs that will allow you to apply the force needed to rotate the socket counter-clockwise. NOTE: The tabs are located at clock positions 1: 00 and 7: 00. They will have to be turned to 11: 00 and 5: 00, respectively. If your Freestyle is older (like mine), you may find (like I did)that you can't turn the socket by hand. I'm a big guy, and I couldn't budge it at all! So I applied torque with a pair of slip-joint pliers--slowly and steadily--until the lamp socket began to turn. Remeber, it's only going to need to move (top tab) from 1: 00 back to 11: 00.
3) NOTICE that the writing on the socket will face down towards the 4: 00 position when the socket is installed; it will face up towards 2: 00 when you can remove the headlamp/socket ass'y. You'll need to insert the NEW headlamp/socket ass'y at this same angle (writing facing 2: 00, electrical connector side with locking tab at 8: 00)
4) VERY IMPORTANT: When you take out the OLD lamp/socket, hold only the base (Never touch the glass on a halogen bulb--unless you plan to trash it.) Look at your new headlamp. Holding it by the socket, look straight at the point of the bulb. Do you see the lighter colored gasket ring that encircles the base? This is there to make a water-tight seal and keep other dirt from getting into the headlamp reflector assembly. NOW: Look at the OLD bulb/socket. Does it have the gasket? Or just a circular ditch where the gasket USED TO BE? The Ford original gasket is likely RED--and if it's not in its place on the old socket base, it is PROBABLY STILL STUCK TO THE HEADLAMP REFLECTOR ass'y. That's right. You couldn't turn the lamp/socket by hand because the old gasket had STUCK to the reflector ass'y--and you had to overcome it with pliers (as did I!).
5) OK, you don't need the old gasket (unless you're going to use the old headlamp somewhere else)--but you DO NEED to remove it from its "stuck on the headlamp reflector" position. If you don't--you'll never be able to get the NEW lamp/socket installed (because you'll be fighting to crush two gaskets (old plus new). Get that old one out of there!
6) If you like, add a little lubricant to the new gasket. BE CAREFUL NOT TO TOUCH THE GLASS BULB Why? No, it won't hurt you. But the oils in your skin will leave fingerprints. And the halogen lamp gets SOOOO HOTTTT that the trace oil from your fingerprint ridges will heat up more than where the valleys are--and stress the glass at two different rates---which leads to a premature "crack" and you're off to buy another $20.00 headlight! If you do accidentally touch the glass, don't panic. Just get some solvent (isopropyl alcohol is good) and carefully clean the bulb. But do it BEFORE you light the bulb.
Where were we? Oh, yeah: add a little lubricant to the new gasket to make it easier to install.
7) Hold the new lamp/socket with the tabs at 11: 00 and 5: 00, with the writing on the socket facing 2: 00. Push in and feel when the lamp/socket is "in" evenly; then rotate CW so the tabs wind up in the 1: 00 and 7: 00 positions.
8) Re-connect the 3-wire electrical connector.
9) Enjoy!
10) This is the type of answer I was looking for---and while Mr. Fixit was technically correct--his answer lacked any of the knowledge that comes from having DONE the job; not just having read the manual. Sorry pal: Sushi is more than just "cold, dead, fish."

Chaplain Slats
The instructions provided by Chaplain Slats did the trick. The headlamp on the drivers side is somewhat difficult to access, and I could not generate nearly enough torque with my hand to twist the lamp socket. It was in very tightly and wouldn't budge.
I used a pair of vice lock pliers with the jaws set open about an inch -- maybe in an inch and a quarter-- so that they were engaging only the tabs on the socket. The vice grips just barely cleared the fuse box and some other components, but I was able to position it so it was perpendicular to the tabs on the socket.

With the tool, it didn't take a great deal of force to get the socket to twist.

Once the new lamp was installed, I said a little prayer of thanks for chaplain's instructions. I'm having knee surgery tomorrow and desperately wanted to replace the headlamp on our Freestyle before I was out of commission for a while.

VAFordOwner
Thank you

Spent an hour getting the bulbs out. No luck getting them back in

Find this post removed 2 red rings from the housing. YES easy peazy lemon squeezy

Thank you

Hardtarge