HOW DO I REINSTALL THE FRONT DRIVESHAFT?

2006 Chevrolet Equinox • 11,000 miles

I pulled out a drive shaft to replace the center bearing. I marked the front drive shaft where it attaches to the transmission. I made a rookie mistake and did not mark it long enough and it rubbed off during the procedure. I have tried several different ways to reinstall it so the bearings and the grooved slip yoke line up to the transmission side but like a previous user I get a grinding or click sound when it goes in to drive. Is there only one way this can be reinstalled to be right? I can get the bearings and cage to stay seated on the slip yoke when installing but I don't think the grooves on the slip yoke and transmission are lining up correctly. Do I just keep pulling it out and rotate the drive shaft until I get the right combination? There are six bolts so it has to be one of those combinations, right?
DavidL40

There should be index marks on the shaft where it meets the trans. But if not it sholdn't matter tomuch anyhow it wouldn't give a click it wouls give more of vibration. Next time yuse a pund to mark it. They don't come off. Check your rear joint for clicking, if you see any rust around the bearing cap rubber replace that ujoint.